What Does Overwashing Your Face Do?
- Updated February 21, 2023
- by Honey Seida
When you wash your face, you're not only removing dirt and makeup, you're also removing sebum. Yes, of course, that's the point of washing your face and fighting oily skin, but you may have noticed by now that doing so leads to exactly what you don't want, oily, acne-prone skin.
If the skin on your face is too oily, it means that the sebaceous glands of the skin are producing too much oil. This is beneficial on the one hand and makes the skin stay moist and fights off the signs of aging. On the other hand, it can be bad; Because too much fat causes unwanted spots and pimples, and if you are unlucky, it will lead to acne.
The more you wash your face with soap and water, the more the skin is stimulated to produce sebum. In addition, overwashing your face damages the acid properties as well and causes the growth of bacteria. Therefore, if you are not exposed to pollution or do not use cosmetics to the point of excess, it is better to just wash your face with water or a gentle cleanser. Hormones are another factor that can cause skin problems. This is clearly visible, especially in teenagers, pregnant women, and menopause.
What Happens When You Overwash Your Face?
The soap or foam that is used to wash the face, the way of washing it, the intervals between washing, etc. are all very important factors as wrong habits can cause damage to your facial skin and lead to dryness. Some of the most common wrong habits when washing the face are as follows:
Washing Your Face with Hot Water
Hot water opens the skin pores and on the contrary, cold water closes them. It is true that using hot water makes you feel cleaner, but this excessive heat destroys the skin's natural oil and leads to dryness and flaking of the facial skin. The best option for washing the face is to use lukewarm water.
Excessive Washing of the Face
Washing your face at most 2 times a day is enough, and more than that will make your skin more oily and/or cause dryness and discomfort. Therefore, if your skin does not have makeup, do not wash your face too much. Remember however that it is necessary to wash off any makeup from your skin before going to bed and use a night cream.
Not Using the Right Cleanser
If after washing your face with a cleanser you realize that it dries your skin and you feel that your skin becomes stretched or starts peeling off, you need to stop using that cleanser as it is probably just too harsh and rough on your facial skin.
asap gentle cleansing gel
asap gentle cleansing gel has been formulated in a way that cleanses the skin and removes excess oil and make-up ever so gently while helping your skin to maintain its natural moisture and hydration balance. It is great for all skin types, even sensitive skin and contains white tea, and Aloe Vera to help to soothe and heal your skin.
asap gentle cleansing gel is a light-lathering, soap free non-irritating cleanser formulated to gently and thoroughly cleanse the skin, and remove makeup (including eye make-up), excess oil, and impurities. Using this gentle cleanser leaves the skin refreshingly clean and hydrated without disturbing the skin’s natural moisture balance.
How Often Should You Wash Your Face?
While overwashing your face is definitely a bad idea, washing your face on a daily basis is important. Wash your face at least once a day for 60 seconds with a cleansing product so that the product has time to clean the top layer of your skin and reach your pores.
Washing your face twice a day is fine, but if your skin feels dry after washing your face twice, that's a sign that it's too much.
How to Wash Your Face Properly
- Wash your hands first. Washing your hands before touching your face prevents the transfer of bacteria from your hands to your face.
- Moisturize your face with lukewarm water.
- Apply the cleanser to your hands and then to your face and massage it into your skin.
- Massage the skin for about 60 seconds, this will give the product enough time to work properly on your face.
- When you finish the massage, wash off the product with warm water.
- Dry your face and moisturize the skin well.
asap soothing gel
asap soothing gel is a combination of natural ingredients including Aloe Vera,
Pepper Berry, Sage, and White Tea to protect, soothe, and calm skin. This water
based formula hydrates without adding oil, making it an ideal moisturiser,
particularly for oily skin. May be applied following microdermabrasion, IPL acne treatment, waxing, shaving and to soothe inflamed skin. Suitable to
refrigerate and apply cold for enhanced soothing
Can Overwashing Your Face Cause Acne?
Unfortunately, this question does not have a simple answer. Science has not pinpointed one single reason for acne. However, if we compare the way we live with acne-free cultures, we may come to the following conclusions:
- Our diet is very different. In particular, people without acne eat far less refined carbohydrates and simple sugars, which spike insulin levels and are devoid of fiber, than we do.
- We exercise less. Regular physical activity can lower stress, reduce inflammation, and increase blood flow to the skin. All these factors can reduce acne and be effective in acne treatment.
- We have more stress. The unrelenting rigors of modern life may leave our face with acne by interfering with hormone levels and weakening the immune response.
- Overwashing your face and body. All the harsh products we use and excessive washing of the skin cause the microbiome balance of the skin to be disturbed. Maybe if we leave the skin to itself, it will take care of itself better.
- We are more exposed to air pollution. Exposure to nitrogen dioxide and other air pollutants may exacerbate inflammatory acne conditions.